Old September 18th 13, 12:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Default hinges

On 09/09/2013 21:36, Colin McKenzie wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:35:57 +0100, Tony Clayton
wrote:
On 05/09/2013 23:41, Pedro wrote:
Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very
easily
removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the best
type/brand. Anyone knows?
It seems it is somewhat difficult to find good ones nowadays. I'll
try the brands you've mentioned on ebay

Pedro

I find Prinz hinges reasonable, but few peel easily nowadays.

SG Hinges were awful!

In what way? They peeled cleanly and didn't fall off much when you
didn't want them to.

In my experience they did not peel cleanly.

I investigated this a few years ago, and couldn't find any modern
hinges that would peel as well as my SG and 'colector-hinges' (sic).
Luckily, I then found about half a packet of the 'colector', which
should see me through, now that I mainly collect mint, so don't use
hinges much.

I cannot see the logic in either using hinges that then have to be
soaked off when I want to move stamps round, or putting cheap used
stamps in plastic mounts that are worth considerably more than the
stamps.

Colin McKenzie

--
Tony Clayton