Old June 19th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default What kind of eraser to use?

"David Ames" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a current statistics textbook at a favorable price. When it
arrived, I saw that one chapter was greatly underlined in red pencil.
The paper is the usual slightly shiny paper that you see in college
textbooks nowadays.

Any idea which type of eraser to use? I also looked for an arts
newsgroup to post this, but could not find one.

David Ames

If the recommended erasers don't work, you may need to try a solvent. Get
out some q-tips, and in this order (and in different locations), dab just a
BIT of lighter fluid or Thoro dry cleaning fluid. Those products are
available at the grocery store. I've had better luck with the Thoro on
colored pencil and crayon, but it can be a tedious process. Don't smear.
Just wet the q-tip a bit and dab.

There's also the hairspray theory....but I think it could leave a residue on
paper (although it works great for getting ballpoint pen ink off clothing).
Kris