Old August 21st 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

Default Another fake Greek coin sold on eBay

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:57:18 -0700, Dave Welsh wrote:

Did you report it to eBay SafeHarbor, Dave?

No. As I made amply clear in another thread, reporting individual auctions
to eBay impresses me as a waste of time. I've reported it to this NG. If
you, or some other RCC reader who disagrees with my views about eBay think
it's really worth while to report this auction, please feel free to spend
your time on that (in my opinion unrewarding) task. You are just as aware of
this incident now as I am.

Those who have worked to suppress online auction fraud in the past have
almost all given up on eBay SafeHarbor. I'm one of them. Yes, eBay does pull
most questionable auctions when they are reported but the fraudsters simply
go on to another auction.

The Toronto group cast forgery I have just reported (in the message I sent
before this one) is an example of that. It was reported to eBay, and all
that happened is that the seller ended the auction and relisted it. Do you
think eBay can be induced to do something effective about this fraudulent
seller? Here's all the information you need to go demonstrate how effective
eBay's Safe Harbor system is in suppressing fraud. I'll be interested to see
what results you achieve.

I intend to present factual evidence to the NG periodically as to what is
really happening on eBay, so that everyone in the group can judge for
themselves whether eBay should be allowed to continue operating a venue for
collectibles, antiquities and other items for which authenticity is
important, without any effective policing. This will also serve the useful
purpose of warning RCC readers about some auctions that should be avoided.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com