Old September 18th 13, 03:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Default hinges

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message news
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:35:57 +0100, Tony Clayton
wrote:
On 05/09/2013 23:41, Pedro wrote:
Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very
easily
removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the best
type/brand. Anyone knows?
It seems it is somewhat difficult to find good ones nowadays. I'll try
the brands you've mentioned on ebay

Pedro

I find Prinz hinges reasonable, but few peel easily nowadays.

SG Hinges were awful!

In what way? They peeled cleanly and didn't fall off much when you didn't
want them to.

I investigated this a few years ago, and couldn't find any modern hinges
that would peel as well as my SG and 'colector-hinges' (sic). Luckily, I
then found about half a packet of the 'colector', which should see me
through, now that I mainly collect mint, so don't use hinges much.

I cannot see the logic in either using hinges that then have to be soaked
off when I want to move stamps round, or putting cheap used stamps in
plastic mounts that are worth considerably more than the stamps.

Colin McKenzie

--
Cycling in the UK is about as safe as walking, and helmets don't make it
safer. Make an informed choice - visit www.cyclehelmets.org.

The thing was that I received a parcel from UK with a Dr.Who TV series
mini-sheet on the outside.
As a cancelled mini-sheet is not very frequently found o parcels/letters I
wanted to keep it as a valueable item for my collection. The mini-sheet was
auto-adhesive... so, when ungluing it from the paper, the stamps fell off
their frame because perforations were indeed cuts. I want to keep the stamps
and their frame in one piece doing the minimum damage to the mini-sheet.
That's why I thought hinges would be the best solution but wouldn't want
those that keep glued forever as they are damaging the paper.

Pedro Cabrera