Old June 6th 09, 09:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Rarity & Price. Was: The world's 10 rarest stamps.

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
Tony Clayton found these unused words:

No mention of the tre skilling yellow error of colour of Sweden

Then you have to dump in the 'Abnormals' of the Victorian GB. There are
far
fewer of each of them than the tre-skilling!

Rarity != Price !!!

I suppose that "!=" means "not equal", notation that originates in the C
programming language.

Indeed, some stamps are more desired than others, for different reasons, and
not only dependently on their rarity.

For example in countries with richer stamp collectors, that countries stamps
are usually more expensive, which is perfectly understandable from the
economic point of view.

If we make an analogy with the price of paintings, a domain where the prices
are veeery different, even if each painting is usually unique, we see again
that here the rarity is not the main reason that drives prices. Of course,
if a painter became famous and he left less paintings, then his paintings
are more expensive due to their rarity. One good example is Vermeer, with
some stamps that reproduce his work shown on my 12 years old page:

http://www.artonstamps.org/Art-Galle...er/vermeer.htm

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/