Old January 6th 04, 11:44 PM
LN in DC

In Bhutan stamps are valid until used in the mail. One can buy an FDC
envelope with stamps affixed and FD cancelled at a post office or the
philatelic counter, put something in the envelope, address it and mail
it. I have many examples of Bhutan FDCs used in the mail (even to me
in the USA) years after the FD date on the envelope. The post office
clerks just cancel the stamps again on the real mailing date.

No big deal! FDCs that sit in a PO and never went anywhere are
"unused" - just because they are "cancelled" or "postmarked" with a
fancy imprint doesn't mean the post office has yet necessarily
delivered the service they prepay.

Consider "precancels" - French collectors who started this thread can
relate to those French "preobliteration" stamps - they're "cancelled",
too when they are sold by the post office, but are still affixed later
to mail and sent on their ways.

Len Nadybal

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:43:03 +0100, "Pierre Courtiade"
wrote:

I wrote:

Is it allowed to use a cover, cancelled with a FDC type cancel, later
than the FDC date ?

wrote :
At least, this has been the case sometimes, usually for the "grace
period" of the first day cancel.

The URL does not work properly, so I can't comment on this particular
case, but it has been allowed in several places. Which country is the
letter from?

Sorry for that, Jan-Martin.
Here is a shorter link :

http://minilien.com/?1gfori0Nw6

The country is Central Africa.
The FDC date is 16 may 1966 on Scott # 72 ; a second cancellation was
made on 26 july 1966 at Bangui airport.

Thanks for your help !

--
All the best,