Old August 22nd 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

Default O.K. - "Pawn Stars" - What do you think???

oly wrote:
On Aug 22, 12:54 pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On 8/22/2010 2:17 PM, oly wrote:

It's frequently contrived

I can't watch it for this reason. It's a typical unreal reality show,
largely faked reality, scripted and heavily edited so that all
realism disappears. In this case, the guy who runs the shop often
affects knowledge of esoteric items that you know he couldn't
possibly have. To counter this fakery, he does call in experts about
other items. Still, the overall quality of the show may be best
summarized by a statement of one of the pawn shop's customers, who
professed knowledge of the authenticity of some medieval item she
brought in because she saw similar items in movies, a statement that
elicited no response.

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom

The pacing of the television show has to be contrived, because the
viewer can't be expected to sit there for three or four months hoping
for (maybe) five really nice items to come in.

IMHO, the practical experience of working in a Pawn Shop for over
twenty years could very well offset the apparent lack of diploma-like
credentials from some institution of higher learning. Also, these
folks have books, they have internet access. And, they still don't
claim to know everything.

In one of the last two episodes, Rick Harrison was shown a U.S. Civil
War encased 3 cent postage stamp, a nice one, and readily adimtted
that he didn't know what it was. And he readily called in an expert
for help.

As for the customers, many come into the shop with some of the
hackneyed bull**** stories known to mankind. The people who know
their stuff is dross always have the best stories!!!

Of course, Rick Harrison might just indeed know everything, as he is
actually your identical twin brother, Reed, accidently separated at
birth.

oly
Sorry, I want responses to my OP, just not from Gainsburger.

Well, that was encouraging, at least Jagerschnitzel wasn't cast in the same
dim view.

James