Old November 29th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter

Default Algiers: WWII question

TL schrieb:
Here is a heavily censored postmark by US Army censor but the same
postmark on the upper 2 stamps is partly visible ending in "R. P." and
on the bottom it looks like it ends in "Y". Can anyone tell from these
letters what the origin of the letter is. I can put up a larger scan
if necessary.
Thanks,
TL

http://cover.home.mindspring.com/11-28/algiers001.jpg

hi
the postmark on the top two stamps ends clearly in R A and not RP. RA
stand for République algérienne.
the mark on the left bottom stamps, looks like a big X, to mark that the
letter has NOT been transported by air mail - this is my explanation.
regards
peter