Old June 11th 06, 04:23 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default memories-Capehart dual-8 track AM/FM/phono recorder

On 10 Jun 2006 19:30:56 -0700, wrote:

I prefer DC motors with tachyservo speed control, as in the
Wollensaks. Lesser decks with DC motors just use a current regulator.
The motor has no bearing on frequency response or quality of the
electronics whatsoever.

Bob-

I've not been lucky enough to even see a Wallensak. Each time I've
seen one, I've been outbid. :-( Do they have plastic or metal head
mounts? snip

Metal with spring loading. Decks was plastic head mounts are usually
go into my trash bin.

I meant to say in my other posts that the general design and quality of
the early decks seem to bee much better than the later ones. With the
exception of the Sony "Toaster" unit- wouldn't play Columbia House
tapes at all- poor capstan-to-pinch-roller contact, at least in the one
I had. snip

They were garbage...regardless of what Fraudboy Nudo says.

In y'alls opinions, which is the absolute best recorder deck? Make and
model numbers? snip

Marantz 830D
Wollensak 8075
Pioneer H-R100

All of the above have Dolby B circuits. If Dolby's not a
consideration:

Akai GX-82D

The other Akais are somewhat overrated. The 82 has the best top end
in the format, but sacrifices bottom end to get it, an inevitable
tradeoff at 3¾ IPS.

Two real sleepers:

Lafayette RK-89A
Some JVCs w/ transformer coupled head

Both of these can just about keep pace with the better decks in
response and headroom.

The Lafayette was OEM built by Mitsubishi before they entered the US
consumer electronics biz under their own name (MGA) while the
Wollensaks were OEM built by Sanyo to a 3M/Mercon design. The lesser
Wollensaks (8050, 8055 and 8056) don't use the same head or amp design
as the 8075, and aren't quite as good in performance, but still better
than most. 8050 uses an AC motor; 8055 and later use a tachyservo
controlled DC Matsu****a can motor with a tach pickup on the back of
the motor. For best regulation, use a new belt with these.