Old February 4th 05, 02:27 AM
Bob Flaminio

Ron wrote:
Russell wrote:
Alot of the new issues have the same coin, same mint mark, but one
unc and one proof. Do you guys think both are need for a
collection, or just one example?

It's up to you. Right now I'm putting together an Uncirculated modern
commem set (no proofs). I'm nine coins away from completion. Assuming
that I do complete it, a logical next step would be to pick up all
the proofs. I already have a proof 1982-S Washington Half, but
that's rather my signature coin, and acquiring one was mandatory.

Just curious, are you buying the uncircs from the Mint as they come
out? Or waiting and buying aftermarket? What about the proofs? Not
bothering to pick up the proofs from the Mint, then work on the older
ones later?

Buying the Uncs from the mint, not bothering right now with the Proofs.
When I switch to Proof mode, I'll have to buy them both from the mint.

I'm working on modern proofs and uncircs at the same time. Picking up
both when new issues are released from the Mint, at the same time
trying to pick up older issues. I'll have both sets some day, but
will go twice as long as you before actually completing a set.

Not necessarily. My Unc needs are very specific -- they have to be in
ANACS MS69 holders. This restriction alone has made the task extra
difficult. Indeed, it was impossible to complete for a while, as the
1982-D Washington was unavailable in MS69 (pop 0). This oversight has
since been resolved, as I conspired with a dealer and made the first
(and so far, only) ANACS MS69 1982-D Washington Half.

--
Bob