Old December 5th 05, 03:19 PM posted to alt.art.marketplace,rec.arts.fine,rec.collecting,alt.marketing.online.ebay

Default Thomas Kinkade ORIGINAL "Home for the Evening"

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:51:16 GMT, "Angrie.Woman"
wrote:

Mani Deli wrote:
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:23:43 GMT, "Kris Baker"
wrote:

"Mani Deli" wrote in message
news The people who pay for Kinkade don't give a **** about what you'lld
rather buy.
Ah, but that's where you're wrong. Theyll'd [sic] be caring a LOT
when they try to profit from their "investments"....which is how this
crapmeister has sold his wares fromt he beginning. He's the
silkscreen version of "collector plates".

Never the less, the people who pay for Kinkade don't give a **** about
what you'lld rather buy.

They will when they go to sell it in an effort to pay some retirement
expenses.

I'm aware of Kinkade, I've seen some of his work, but I have no
interest in owning a Kinkade. But I'm tolerant enough of other
people's taste that I wouldn't criticize anyone for buying something
just because I don't consider it acceptable.

I know that there's some speculation in buying Kinkades, but I'm not
aware that people buy his work just for investment. Possibly so, but
anyone involved in the art market for investment purposes would surely
do a little research into the long-term projections for art values.

Kinkades may have some short-term investment potential. If
something's "hot", there are people that will pay the price.
Kinkade's wouldn't be the only thing that enjoy value appreciation
even though they aren't generally recognized as inherently valuable.

I don't think anyone has any business deciding that someone else's
taste in art is lacking. Kris is very proud of the piece she picked
up, but I see it as something too close to those paintings of big-eyed
children, clown paintings, and dogs playing poker. My assessment
shouldn't make any difference to Kris, though, and I'm pleased that
she's happy with her purchase. I hope she's happy because she likes
the look of it on her wall, and not just because it's worth more than
she paid for it. It's quite possible that she wouldn't want some of
the originals that I own on her wall, and that doesn't bother me.

There are so many things that we buy that don't have an intrinsic
value commensurate with what they are. That's what disposable income
is for, though. No one wastes money on things that please them.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL