Old May 11th 10, 06:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Sullivan

Default Can anyone please id this coin?

wrote in message
On May 11, 10:20 am, "John Sullivan"
wrote:
See:

http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/a...had/JS%20PICS/

Bronze follis of the Roman emperor Licinius I (308- 324). Reverse
shows Jupiter standing with an eagle at his feet. Licinius was co-
ruler with Constantine the Great for a while, but they eventually had
a civil war; Constantine emerged as sole ruler of the Empire. Not
particularly rare (my old copy of Sear lists it as 20 pounds) but a
neat coin with plenty of history. Hope this helps.

Very many thanks Robert. My late uncle dug it up in his garden at Grendon
Underwood in Buckinghamshire. Not an area known for Roman remains.