Old October 24th 03, 11:17 AM
Scottishmoney

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message

Do some English merchants take them? Are merchants along the border
more likely to accept them, in the way northern New York merchants
accept Canadian dollars?

Many english merchants will accept them, many but certainly not all. Our
very own Note.Boy had experiences with this during a recent foray into
Yorkshire. I have seen very few instances where American merchants accepted
Canadian $, at Niagara Falls, and then in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan, where
it seems like lots of Canadians shop in the grocery stores as a tax haven.
On the other hand I can spend US $ anywhere in Canada, provided I will
accept only Canadian $ in change as is the rule in the places I have done
it. Recently the Canadian $ has appreciated considerably against the US$,
it is now 77¢ for a Canadian $, but a year or so ago it was in the low 60¢
range.

Hm. How popular is the notion of Eurofying the UK or even just
Scotland?

Padraic.

Perhaps a bit less popular than the notion of Eurofying has been in Denmark
or Sweden. Many merchants in the larger cities willingly accept Euro cash
in transactions, it is good business, but otherwise the general public
rather seem against the idea. The Pound has a long and proud history and
even survived the trauma of two World Wars, and decimalisation in 1971. So
it is a bit of an institution which I don't see going away unless something
dramatic happens.

Dave