Old September 24th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default Got A Counterfeit At The Bank

Hello

On your posting below! I am only responding to this
newsgroup only. I do not wish to crosspost.

(rec.collecting.paper-money rec.collecting.coins)

Was this a commercial bank, or a credit union?

It is interesting that you received a fake $100.00 dollar
bill from a bank.

Go to the web link shown below. Report it just the same!
http://www.secretservice.gov/money_receive.shtml

Click on "United States Secret Service field office" to
get the local phone number in your area.

KNOW YOUR MONEY

If You Receive a Counterfeit

Do not return it to the passer.

Delay the passer if possible.

Observe the passer's description, as well as that of
any companions, and the license plate numbers of any
vehicles used.

Contact your local police department or United States
Secret Service field office. These numbers can be
found on the inside front page of your local telephone
directory.

Write your initials and the date in the white border
areas of the suspect note.

Limit the handling of the note. Carefully place it in
a protective covering, such as an envelope.

Surrender the note or coin only to a properly identified
police officer or a U.S. Secret Service special agent.

"scottishmoney" wrote in message
news

This morning I went to the bank and made the weekly withdrawl. One of the
$100's just didn't quite look right the ink was a bit off. I looked at it
up against the overhead light, and sure enough, it was Abraham Lincoln's
watermark, not Ben Franklin's.

Someone had apparently bleached a $5 and printed the $100 over it. The
crazy thing was handing it back to the teller and telling her it was a
counterfeit, she did not believe me and used the counterfeit detector pen
on it. Of course it appeared authentic according to the detector pen,
because the paper was real. I had her look at the watermark, and sure
enough she verified she saw Lincoln too. The pen thing would have thrown
her, because this was a bleached $5 bill that was used, so the paper was
good, but not for a $100 bill.

If it had been up to a $20 I would have kept it as a curiousity, but a
$100 is a bit much to swallow. I subsequently found out that there have
been a rash of them circulating in our area lately. The teller had
purchased it from another teller earlier whom had taken it in from a
deposit. Somebody was not careful when they took in money today.

I have always thought counterfeits were something I woudl never find -
surprise!