Old September 24th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

Default Got A Counterfeit At The Bank

This morning I went to the bank and made the weekly withdrawl. One of the
$100's just didn't quite look right the ink was a bit off. I looked at it up
against the overhead light, and sure enough, it was Abraham Lincoln's
watermark, not Ben Franklin's.

Someone had apparently bleached a $5 and printed the $100 over it. The crazy
thing was handing it back to the teller and telling her it was a
counterfeit, she did not believe me and used the counterfeit detector pen on
it. Of course it appeared authentic according to the detector pen, because
the paper was real. I had her look at the watermark, and sure enough she
verified she saw Lincoln too. The pen thing would have thrown her, because
this was a bleached $5 bill that was used, so the paper was good, but not
for a $100 bill.

If it had been up to a $20 I would have kept it as a curiousity, but a $100
is a bit much to swallow. I subsequently found out that there have been a
rash of them circulating in our area lately. The teller had purchased it
from another teller earlier whom had taken it in from a deposit. Somebody
was not careful when they took in money today.

I have always thought counterfeits were something I woudl never find -
surprise!