Old April 20th 09, 07:33 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default How do you hold your pen?

"bowcan" wrote in message

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message

For this hold, I usually, hold the pen something like the top part of a
chopstick is held if you are doing it "right." I have the thumb opposite
the main index finger, and the middle finger is resting around the top
knuckle joint (closest to the tip) somewhere. I curl the third and
fourth fingers underneath to form the stabilizing contact with my
writing surface, and I try to avoid letting my wrist rest on the table.

Remember teacher was very strict & we weren't allowed to make letters at
first-just drawing circles (counter-clockwise & clock-wise) along with up
& down lines like an 'EKG.'

Our teacher would prowl the aisles as she reminded us, "Put your arm on
the table! Use your other hand to move the paper! Sit up! Don't move your
pencil hand! Use the other hand to move the paper!"

Of course we didn't like our teacher, but in hindsight she probably did us
a great favor. Whether she was teaching Palmer, or Chambers, or whatever--
I don't know. But I think all those drills *did* force us to use our
shoulders more. I think our hands were meant to act as a sort of
'platform' for the pencil while other muscles & other hand did the work.

Penmanship is still something I'm working on as I learn to write, "flex."
Never did master the art of using other hand to move the paper-still move
my hand & then have to reposition. Perhaps as a result, my writing tends
to slant down and to the right when writing on paper without lines.

As for grip-maybe like you described. Hand rests on paper-- fleshy part
opposite thumb-side. Pinkie & ring finger are kind of curled under. Pen
rests lightly on last part of middle finger. Thumb & part of index finger
rest lightly on top of pen. I hold pen at about 30-degree angle towards
the rear of 'grip' section.

For me this is easier and I count myself lucky. I can fill out a
tremendous amount of paperwork associated with mental health care (intake
forms, progress notes, treatment plans, etc.) while others complain their
hands hurt! (We all got into social work and counseling to fill charts &
forms!)

Was surprised to read on an html board that some people refuse to believe
it's possible to 'write from the shoulder'. Maybe it's something you have
to learn as a kid. Don't know. I 'cheat' & use fingers for stuff like
drawings or flourishes, but for basic shapes & letters I do think most of
the work is being done by muscles in upper arm/shoulder.

fwiw

This is interesting. I think I was taught to hold the pen properly, but from
what this website says, I was taught to be a finger-writer, not to write
using my shoulder and forearm as you do:

http://www.paperpenalia.com/handwriting.

As for my grip, I hold my pen or pencil almost like Figure 3. The exception
is that my pen doesn't rest on the knuckle, but in front of it.

Good topic.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.