Old September 12th 03, 12:35 PM
oly2059

"Rustyz" wrote in message v.net...
Gates Mystery Car Winner Coin 1969,

I have a coin that has the words "Gates Mystery Car Winner" Dated 1969.

Can anyone tell me what this Dollar sized coin is about.

Gates Rubber Company was (and still is, I think) a Denver, Colorado
based company that produces/supplies automotive rubber belts and
hoses. At one time, they had an unmarked car that visited gas
stations throughout the USA. They would buy fuel, of course, and then
wait and see if the service station attendant would offer to check
under the hood for oil and presumably the condition of the belts and
hoses. If the attendant did so, they would get one of the coins and
would also be mentioned in a company newsletter/ and or advertisments.

A good friend of mine had a famous restaurant and service station on
U.S. Route 66 in Illinois. On one busy day, the Gates Mystery Car
pulled in; my friend fueled up their car and did nothing else. When
he asked them for the money, they paid him and told him that he had
missed his chance to service the Gates Mystery Car. He told them to
go #@^*!!! themselves and to ++##@&!!! their mystery car up their
poopy chutes!!! However, several years later his son did do the right
thing when the Gates mystery car pulled in again.

Bob Olson )