Old October 6th 03, 11:16 AM
Fred

I'm not sure if it is hub doubled or not...I don't particularly collect
variety coins per se.

Thats why I ask the experts.

Fred

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote in message
Fred wrote:

Hi Everyone....especially those of CONECA,

I was going through a circulated roll of Mercury Dimes tonight and to my
surprise, I found a 1942 S with a DOUBLED DATE and DOUBLED LIBERTY. I

know
I should buy the Cherrypickers Guide but I am cheap. Tonight I was

using a
book called Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins by

Frank
G. Spadone. It only lists coins up to 1964.

The coin has very prominent doubling in the date and LIBERTY and grades

IMO
using ANA Grading Standards, VF30 to VF 35.

I would like to know what it is worth.

Thanks,
Fred

Sorry to share this with you, Fred, but it is my understanding and my
opinion
that Spadone's book is in itself, an oddity. A lot of inaccurate
information
that misleads a lot of new collectors of die varieties, hub-doubled die
collectors, in particular. If anyone feels that I am mistaken, please
post
here. I would love to be corrected on this one. What you see is most
likely Machine Doubling Damage, pretty common on the 1942 S Dimes. Is
the
secondary image flat and shelf-like, or shaped like the image next to
it?
Please read the chapter on Doubled Dies in the Cherry Pickers' Guide.
There ARE doubled die Winged Liberty Dimes, but not the 1942 S, IMO.
HTH. Aram.