Old January 2nd 04, 05:06 PM
Eric Bustad

Dave wrote:
In the category of "foreign wars" they define any military action,
occupation or service outside of the United States territory. Perhaps the
first "foreign war" of the United States was the war with the Barbary
pirates in 1805. Marines took part in this miltary action which today is
evident in the "to the shores of Tripoli" line in the Marine Corps hymn. So
the United States' first "foreign war" was 74 years before the founding of
the VFW.
The VFW was probably founded as an organization for the veterans of the
then recently concluded Spanish-American War where units served in
Philippines, Guam and Cuba.

Yup. See http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=news.leveld&did=224

I would think that the only veteran's associations at the time were for
those who fought in the Civil War, such as the Grand Army Of The
Republic and the United Confederate Veterans Association who were
commemorated by Scott nos. 985 (Aug 29, 1949) and 998 (May 30, 1951).

"Victor Manta" wrote in message

I have seen by chance in Scott the stamp 1525, issued March 11th, 1974, and
dedicated to the 75th anniversary of the Veterans of Foreign Wars
organization.

Quite interesting, because the only non-foreign US American war that I can
remember was the Civil (Secession, Rebellion) War, one that happened about
150 years ago. Even if it looks as a long time ago, actually this war was
not so old for an organization that was probably created in 1899.