Old March 19th 09, 12:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
bowcan

Default Why not just answer questions here?

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"bowcan" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Not trolling, just curious since I frequent FPN & have no compliants
against it.

(Just prefer to have more than one source of information & a.c.p-p is
easier sometimes.)

But I've noticed a trend here.

Someone posts a question & reply comes back:

"Dear So&So. Why not head over to FPN? They can answer all your
questions."

The advice is no doubt well meant, but (as header implies) why not just
answer the questions *here* rather than *there*!

A matter of convenience & some of us dinosaurs still like Use-Net format
where we can easily see 'trees' and topics don't tend to get "lost in the
shuffle" as can sometimes happen on busy html bordz.

thx!

Why not, indeed?

I like the clear, plain text format of usenet. The web forums, including
FPN, seem more cumbersome to me.

IMHO. I wonder what the reaction would be, if I constantly promoted
a.c.p-p this way on FPN?

If FPN want to advertise here, fair enough; I don't mind. I would prefer
to see a simple ad, with short explanation and URL, posted every week or
two.

--
Alan

A couple of thoughts:
Is it me, or do I read a sense of rivalry & even *disdain* in some of
replies to this topic?

We all share the same hobby, so (as someone suggested) why not just reply to
questions & include a links?

-----
Example:
"I found this pen at garage sale? It says Waterman Ideal on it & has the
number 12 on the bottom. How do I put ink in it?"
----
Run-around reply:
"You have a Waterman #12 eye-dropper. Why not head on over to favorite html
board? Plenty of folks there who can answer your question!"
----
Better reply (imho):
"You found a Waterman #12 pen that's known as an 'eye-dropper filler.' Just
unscrew part near the nib, get an eyedropper or pipette, & then put w/ink
into the body of pen. (A little paraffin or silicone might be a good idea
for threads/ink fingers!) For more info. on Waterman pens, here are some
links: FPN, Pentrace, Lion & Pen, etc. etc.

I believe 2nd reply would be more convenient for people who might just be
after "quick question / quick answer" while also letting them know where
they can find out more if interested.

Unless I'm mistaken, "FPN at mailinator.com" isn't the only person who
appears to be directing people away from here. That was my whole point in
attempting to open up a civil discussion of why I seem to be reading a
number of 're-directs" for lack of a better word.

I think there's plenty of room for both use-net & html forums!

Peace!

--Bruce

bbo429icATgmail.com
change a vowel to an imaginary number (nothing) for valid addy