Old November 7th 05, 07:06 PM
DeserTBoB

Default Last thing heard before tape splice broke

On 7 Nov 2005 10:31:57 -0800, "Cartrivision1" wrote:

I was listening to Wings "London Town" this morning and a strange thing
happened. The song was at it's end and Paul was singing the last "I've
Had Enough" and then the tape splice broke! I guess it was fateful
that the tape broke at that precise moment. Anyone else have an
experience like that? snip

As I've said many times, you should never play an 8 track tape without
first opening it up, changing the pads out for a Win-GibŪ, doing a
proper double sided splice using real splicing tape (not Scotch tape)
and cleaning the cartridge interior. The adhesive on the sensing foil
is virtually gone by this age, so new splices are mandatory. After
doing so, I've never had such a failure, but yes...I've had exactly
this happen, more often than not, on carts I didn't "service" before
the first play.

Some people find these failures of 8 tracks to be part of their
"charm;" I find them to be a royal pain in the ass. It's getting to
the point to where I have to invest a lot of time and skill in
refurbishing these things just to hear them, and since my time's worth
money, it comes down to whether it's worth it or not.

dB