Old July 28th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Gene Mierzejewski

Default Those Amazon Sellers

While many Amazon sellers may not know the difference between a BCE and
the BBC, a number are knowledgable and legit book dealers. I've been selling
at Amazon for about 18 months and have been frustrated by the dolts who list
books that they've salvaged from a Dumpster or were left over after the
library book sale sold the dregs at $1 per bag.

I've had considerable success at Amazon by describing my books
accurately (i.e., mentioning any flaws) and noting which are first editions
and first printings.

As a book collector myself -- yes, I still keep buying books even as I
dispose of my collection -- I consider Amazon a source of good books. You
just have to read between the lines when a book is described. And then ask
further questions. If a seller doesn't know the difference between a book
club edition and a first edition, I won't do business with him/her.

Gene Mierzejewski

"Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote in message
Denton Taylor wrote:
Hey all:

THere's a yahoo group devoted to bookselling, which only comes to life
from time to time, but it came to life recently, cuz an Amazon seller
sent a book to a customer which seemed to be a BCE. The seller turns
out not to know what a BCE is, whcih is why I am tending to buy fewer
used books on Amazon these days. Someone who clearly does know what a
BCE is gently chastised the seller for mis-representation while
apologizing for sounding 'harsh'. ...

I think that amazon.com (and half.com) are aimed mostly at the people who
want the book to read, not as a collectible. What annoys me the most is
when they claim the book is a "like-new" or clean copy and it actually has
all sorts of highlighting or underlining. I mean, they may not know what
a BCE is, but they can surely see that the pages are half-covered in
yellow highlighter. :-(

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
A great many people think they are thinking when they