Old April 10th 05, 11:47 AM
James Higby

"Eric Freeman" wrote in message
"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote in message

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote in message

My girlfriend bought this coin the other day. It's about the size of
a Silver Eagle. Anybody know what it is or what it's made of?

Thanks in advance, and ignore the other post with the same question
and no link. I had a blonde moment.

Eric

http://myweb.cableone.net/VALSOK/chinese_coin.jpg

It is apparently some kind of replica (but not a very good one) of the
"Fat Man" dollar issued by the Chinese Republic in "Year 3" (1914).
Portrait is that of Yuan Shih-kai. The three parallel lines above his
forehead represent the "3." The three characters in the rectangle
behind his head are not present on an original. On the reverse side is
the Chinese symbol for "5." I have no idea what it refers to.

James

After doing a bit of online research, I came across this:

The seller, claiming he is from China, has zero feedback, not a good
sign. He calls this a five-dollar coin, none of which were made with
this design, as far as I know.

James

Actually, upon looking again, I see the seller claims he is registered in
the Netherlands, but that the coin is in China. Hmmm...

James
'I've got a bad feeling about this'

Thanks for the info. I did a quick look in ebay but didn't find that
auction. Like the auction, this one has a lettered edge. At $5.99 with
shipping, the bidder is already paying more than my girlfriend did.

Eric

Um, Eric, if you didn't find the auction, how did you know about the
lettered edge and the current price?

James