Old February 10th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson

Default Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

"Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)" wrote in
message oups.com...

Based on
the listings on Bookfinder, I'd estimate the value of this book at
$225 to $250, certainly nowhere close to $430.

You may have a mistaken apprehension of the retail
market for genuinely rare books. In comparison with
other goods (e.g. computers, e.g. mass-produced new
books) vendors cannot set prices in order to undercut
the competition (because these items are so scarce
that price competition seldom works.) By contrast,
haggling (bargaining) over price may be as common
as in some other markets (e.g. automobiles.)

We still do not know why you did not buy a couple
of copies at $250 and offer to sell them to this dealer
at $350.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs