Old September 2nd 11, 05:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

Default Watermark detectors

On 9/1/2011 10:54 AM, wrote:
I would like to study the watermarks of a lot of stamps. Is there a
"non-liquid" watermark detector I can use? I have seen other
collectors at stamp shows squeeze stamps in little boxes to study
watermarks. Which are the best? and where can I purchase one? Thank
you in advance. Michael Titford.

Some collectors have reported success with scanning the back of a stamp
and adjusting the brightness and color of the result.

I don't check watermarks very often, but I find barbeque lighter fluid
works well -- very small amount of liquid, well-ventilated area, limited
time exposure.

Bill