Old August 26th 11, 08:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Default scanning watermarks

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
"Pedro" found these unused words:

hello all,
I'm trying to get a decent digital image of a watermark with my
scanner. My method is still not perfect although I manage to see the
watermark but not very clear. I'd appreciate very much if anyone
could help me or provide directions in achieving this goal in a
better way.

Thanks,
pedro

IF your scanner will scan photographic negatives, place the stamp
face UP and make the scan. You'll have to severely manipulate the
contrast and black/white capture points while scanning, but for many
watermarks this will work.

Note, it will be 'reversed' so additional work in your graphics
editor will be needed.

As we always look at watermarks from the back of the stamp I am puzzled
as to why some catalogues show watermarks as seen from the front.

At least the Italian catalogues show what is seen from the back.

--
Tony Clayton