Old January 10th 04, 01:04 PM
Victor Manta

"Mette" wrote in message

Didier Cuidet wrote in message
Le Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:41:46 +0100, dans rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,
"Mette" a écrit :

It appears that some jerk is abusing my very private email
address, that is not published anywhere on the Internet,
neither on websites nor in newsgroups, nor eBay, nor PayPal,
nor elsewhere. Thus, spam is now constantly generating on
that address!

This can only mean that I myself have given my address
to someone whom I considered a friend, but who seems
to have betrayed my confidence.

I think that someone knowing your address has his computer infected by a
worm or a virus that copied his address book, and use random names in it
to send copies of it all around the world.

Such a copy may have been caught by spammers.

Nothing sufficient to believe that someone has betrayed your confidence,
excepted if you include less of prudence in that opinion.

Thank you, both Rodney and Didier.
I do have my well founded suspicions, but would never
dare publish them here, since I cannot prove anything.

However, things are happening in sequences that are
not due to spammers but can only be done by an
ill-meaning individual. I am not being over-sensitive
nor hysterical.
--
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
DC

So Rodney, Didier, you have the merit to have tried to find an explanation,
even if unsuccessfully.

A suspicion is a suspicion, and, rational or not, it cannot be easily
eliminated.

Probably the best solution for suspicious persons in similar situations is
to never make known their personal e-mail addresses to RCSD participants
(because it is obviously one of us who is suspected, even if I don't
understand why this restriction).

What I cannot also understand is this:
"Whoever you are, be notified now that the address in
question is closed, and that I have -- again -- another
private address, strictly reserved for private correspondence."

If the e-mail address is closed, then the abusing person will be notified
when s/he tries again to mail to it, so that I wonder what brings this
announcement to the person who has made it public, and also what brings it
to all of us (because we cannot do something to find and to punish the
presumable guilty person).

Victor Manta