Old October 6th 04, 10:18 PM
Rein Bakhuizen van den Brink

dear R's,

as far as I know, apart from the traditionally perforated stamps
in sheets, blocks or sheetlets, Australia Post issues stamps
in coils or stamp-booklets or stampcards that are self-adhesive and have
been [kiss] die-cutted [that is the die-cut only reaches the backing paper
and doesn't cut through]. There are no 'die-cut gummed' stamps, all are self-adhesive!

The die-cuts pseudo-perforation can always be recognised by the smooth edges
- no paper fibres sticking out - and usually can be distinguished as the shapes
of the die-cut are different: you can tell apart the 10x booklets from the 20-booklets,
the coils of 100 printed by Pemara or Sprintpak [or whatever other name they prefer
to use]. The differences sometimes are very subtile, but sometimes very obvious
and then the catalogues mention them explicitely; several coil-stamp definitives
printed by Pemara have a die-cut shape that looks almost like a traditional
comb-perforation!

I'm not sure whether Australia philatelist have described everything in their
philaleic magazines, but I think it's worth while trying to make such list.
Sometime ago I mentioned in this list several of the what I called then
sinoid shapes of the die-cut, by now I can discern at least 3 different shapes
which is enough..

groetjes, Rein

On 6 Oct 2004 18:14:59 G, "Roger Smith" wrote:

"Rodney" wrote in message
I think there are three cousins,

die cut gummed
die cut self adhesive
and perfed gummed

Rod

Are you sure that there are any die-cut gummed issues, or have I forgotten
the obvious?

Roger

.