Old February 22nd 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod222

Default Russia : Large Format 4 kopek ID please:

Thank you Stan,
I have logged your response,
Everyone is stumped so far,
I don't have a great knowledge of Russia,
I am awaiting a closer scan, if it is a prank
the background filagree work should be larger corresponding to
the normal stamp.
No scan forthcoming as yet

"Stan" wrote in message
On Feb 21, 8:18 pm, "rod222" wrote:
A backside view of the owner's stamp
just in case if offers a clue.
He has since washed it off.

http://cjoint.com/data/0cwcrlg8fEh.htm

Rod--sorry, no direct help, but experience with Germanic, French, and
Belgian cancellations makes me doubt that the cancel is from Yalta.

If "Yalta" is written with five Cyrillic characters, and if Russian
cancels are similar to those I am familiar with from western Europe,
the name will be centered at the the top. But the top of the cancel
clearly is between the Cyrillic "L" and "T" rather than on the "L"
itself. Note maybe Yalta in Russian has only four characters. And
maybe this cancellation is not designed with a centered name/word.
But there certainly doesn't seem to be room enough for two characters
between the Russian L and the star at the bottom.

Guessing that Russian dates are day/month/year, I'd take the cancel
date as 2 June, 1915. If real, that al least puts a limit on the
issue date.

Secondly