Old August 26th 03, 08:44 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On 26 Aug 2003 08:15:44 -0700, (Phil Barnhart) is alleged to
have written:

We met up at the convention, and I explained what we had to do. I had
two coins, slabbed by well-known services, that we would remove from
the slabs and try to sell. Each would be in an Eagle holder. Our
story was that these were my father's coins, and he was now in a home
and needed some money. One would be an 1892-O Half Eagle graded AU-55
(value between $1500-$2000). The second would be an 1916 Standing Lib
graded AU-58 (value between $4500-$5100).

Which services graded which coins?

Over six hours we approached 40 dealers (one of which posts here on
occasion - do you remember us?). We were lied to (10 dealers pointed
to the price of an 1892 Half Eagle on their grey sheet instead of the
New Orleans coin). 6 dealers gave us prices for the 1917 Standing
lib. What did the others do?

Which dealers said what?

Many of these dealers were good ANA members, respected, and heavy Coin
World advertisers. Not a single one of them were ethical. One
well-known dealer eyed the Standing lib for several minutes, declared
it an "extra-fine" and offered me $900.

Who said this?

For the record, I sent the coins back through the slabbing process -
the standing lib came even back MS-63. Lol! I sold both of them -
this time letting the dealer in LA know I knew what the coins were
actually worth. The final price:

That's very fast turnaround from PCGS/NGC, especially given that the coin were
raw at the show. Which service turned them around so fast? Who's the LA dealer?

1916 Standing Lib: $5300
1892-O Half Eagle: $1600

Oh, and why did I take such a low price on the standing lib? I was
actually offered more. Because I think the grading service messed up;
in my own eyes it is a great AU, not a poor UNC. And ethically, I
could not take more. I wonder if this dealer will discount the coin
against the grade when he sells it . . .

You were offered more and you turned it down? That may not have been wise, for
an AU58 to go to an MS63 is NOT uncommon, PCGS has said they will "upgrade" a
nice AU to MS-something because thats where nice AU's sell. Nice AU's bring more
than ugly mint state.

It's a great story, but with the claims presented you need a few more specific
facts to back it up. certainly, the dealer who offered you too much for the 1916
will remember you, and likely the dealer you took to task as well. If you can
back this up with names, this is the sort of story that should be mailed to Remy
Bourne, the new head of the ANA consumer protection group.

As it stands, you might send it to Gary Lewis. Since it doesn't mention any
names or grading services, he might respond in a general way.

Bruce