Old January 3rd 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Default Small Red Squares on Battle of Britain stamps?

"Blair (TC)" wrote:

On Dec 31 2007, 1:43 pm, "Gazza" wrote:
- see the nose on this spitfirehttp://www.odyssey.dircon.co.uk/spitfire.jpg

...snip

As noted in the other group, this is also the naval / air signal flag
for the letter "U" . This flag signal means "You are running into
trouble."

In any case, I see it as a private overprint, either to remember
Polish pilots in the Battle of Britain but more likely, giving a 'black
humour' warning to the Nazi pilots in that battle that the spitfires are after
them.
(see Gazza's spitfire picture)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna..._flags#Letters

Blair

Wonderful photo, Gazza! Thanks! I have forwarded the photo to the
discussion group where the question arose.

Even I am in doubt about the signal flag, I think that you are right
Blair - it could be a message to the Nazi pilots (I'm in doubt because
normally a signal flag hasn't a border of any kind). Anyway, thanks a
lot for comments to this little question!
--
Mvh Toke

http://www.norbyhus.dk/