Old February 14th 14, 03:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin

Default New collector

Over the past 8 months, I have begun collecting first editions.
It all started when my in-laws handed me their John Grisham books.
I knew enough to check out the copyright page and it turns out
all of them were first printings. Over the past 8 months I have
picked up a total of about 20 first printings and first editions
(in various printings). My prize thus far is a first printing of
Clancy's Patriot Games. As a very new collector, I am looking
towards the future. I realize that finding a first printing of
Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is probably not in my immediate
future or budget; however, who should I be looking for now? Thus
far, Ive collected King, Crichton, Clancy, and aforementioned
Grisham.

It makes sense to collect stuff in a category you're actually
interested in. But what you've got there is one where there's
a lot of competition, so it's going to take a lot of effort and
a lot of money to accumulate much. Do you have an interest in
something less popular? Books about garden tools and machinery,
for example?

I have thousands of books but I'm not really a collector of
anything in particular. I guess I might go for Ethel Mannin
if I could actually find any more than I've already got, as
I really like what I've read of her work and she's almost
totally forgotten - kinda feminist equivalent of Aldous Huxley.
(She's not likely to appreciate in value in my lifetime, either;
I wouldn't be doing it as an investment).