Old January 25th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Latest ebay phishing scam

Ian wrote:
I've had plenty of `phishing' type emails come my way. The latest one
involves receiving an officila looking email stating that you have been
given an `unpaid item strike' providing details of the item etcetera and
clickable auction number.

The natural inclination is to click on the auction number to find out
what it is all about. The link will take you to a mocked up `ebay' login
page where (if your head is not screwed on properly) you will type in
your login name and password. of course,, pressing the `send' will
supply your details to the person doing the phishing.

Sorry if you've already come across this one, but it's the first time
i've seen it used and i thought it might be worth mentioning that people
should keep on their toes with regards to these ever evolving phishing
expeditions.

Ian

I view all of these with skepticism, even genuine emails from paypal and
ebay. I use mailwasher to screen it and often see urls behind the typed
url like the following: http://cgi.ebay-com.ws.us/... obviously not
cgi.ebay.com