Old February 5th 05, 11:07 PM
Don McC

Ron B. queries:

Didn't he (Tony Kubek) get hit in the throat with a ground ball once?
It may have been during a world series.

A Bill Virdon grounder hit Kubek in the throat in the 8th inning
of Game 7 of the 1960 World Series leading to five runs that tied
the game for the Pirates. Bill Mazerowski's historic home run came in the next
inning.

Kubek normally replaced Berra in LF during the late innings,
but Berra was due to hit in the next inning so Stengel didn't make
the switch. That ball did take a bad hop, so Phil Linz probably
wouldn't have made the play either. This wasn't a Bill Buckner
situation.

After breaking his hand punching a dugout door during a late
September game, Kubek missed the 1964 World Series.
Linz, his replacement, hit .226, but I personally place the blame
for the 1963-64 Yankee World Series losses on Joe Pepitone.

--
Don

You can't get rich sitting on the bench, but I'm giving it a try.
~ Phil Linz