Old February 5th 05, 01:03 AM
Ron B.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:25:38 GMT, John Wade wrote:

I actually like the commons more than the stars. Their
story is usually more interesting, if you can find it at all.

With the stars, you can figure they came into the big
leagues, made a big splash, put up some big numbers,
and spent the rest of their life making public appearances,
and signing stuff.

I can see where you're coming from, and you have a point there.

I think my fascination with commons is the result of
reading "The Great American Baseball Card Flipping,
Trading, and Bubble Gum Book" years ago. It is still
my favorite book about baseball.

In it, the authors show a baseball card from the 50s or
early 60s, usually a common, and tell some funny story
about that player. Find a copy if you haven't read it.

It does sound interesting.

Speaking of books, if you haven't read "Sixty-One" by
Tony Kubek and Terry Pluto, and you are a fan of the
'61 Yankees, beg, borrow, or steal a copy of that one
too.

Which year did Kubek get injured? What that in 1962?

I also like the 1961 "Baseball Thrills" cards...

Yeah, those are cool, and except for the "Mantle Blasts..."
card, not too expensive.

Got interested in the real oldies at one point, and found some fair
examples from different decades.

I have thought before about getting some of the cards
from the turn of the century, but there are so many
counterfeits out there, I would be afraid of them.

The latest thing I've been working on is baseball card wrappers. I
have Topps examples for every year in the '60's except 1961 and 1962.
They're a little hard to come by. Hopefully I'll have one of each
before long. I also have the Fleer wrappers from that era.

How about the inserts for the '61 set?? I have one
stamp panel in sepia, but I still need one in green.
Also the "Magic Rub-Off" inserts. I only have one
of those also, just as an example. I also have the
stamp book, which was a mail-in offer on one of the
wrappers. Send in a dime and get a cool album to
put all your stamps in.

I admire your ability to concentrate on just 1961 Topps. Do you seek
out the "variations" and error cards? Have you figured out why
nothing was issued for #426, #587, and #588? Which cards do you still
need to complete the set?

I am still missing 32 cards from the set. Mostly common
high numbers, although I do need one common low
number, believe it or not.

#441 Dick Bertell

I have all the Mantle cards (I think there are 6 in all),
except #475, the MVP card.

I still don't have #344, Koufax, or 388 Clemente.

All of these cards are available through eBay, even
the rare high numbers (523-589), but I'm still holding
out for deals!! /;-)

I haven't done the variations of check lists yet. I'll
probably wait until I get the set finished before going
after those.
John Wade