Old February 2nd 05, 04:31 AM
Ron B.

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your dad. Mine passed away two years ago, and I
still remember the unexpected things it put everyone through. Not a
fun time.

I started collecting cards in 1960, when I was 9 years old. I
continued through 1963. My largest collection must have been 1961
Topps, because I remember them best. 1960 Topps is probably second in
that regard. I also remember the Fleer cards from that era, and the
Post cereal cards.

I have complete sets of 1960 Fleer, 1961 Fleer, 1963 Fleer, and 1962
Post (actually I'm missing one card from this 200 card set . . . the
Ralph Terry #10, which I've still never even seen a picture of).

I have over 100 each of '60 through '62 Topps, but haven't seriously
considered putting the sets together. Too many "commons" to hunt
down, and they don't interest me very much. I mostly stick with the
stars, the "leader" cards, and world series cards. I also like the
1961 "Baseball Thrills" cards, the 1962 Babe Ruth cards, and the 1962
action cards (#311 - 319). If I dabble in commons, they're usually
from a team that won the pennant that year, and keep them next to the
world series cards. I keep them all in 9 pocket pages and notebook
binders (with penny sleeves).

After I put nice collections together from 1960 - 1963, I slowly
expanded in both directions. Started putting smaller collections
together from the 1950s and the last half of the 1960s. Got
interested in the real oldies at one point, and found some fair
examples from different decades. Also picked up examples (mostly
rookies) from the '70's, 80's and 90's. I guess I span the years from
1887 through 1991 now. But I still concentrate on the early 60's, and
enjoy them the most.

The latest thing I've been working on is baseball card wrappers. I
have Topps examples for every year in the '60's except 1961 and 1962.
They're a little hard to come by. Hopefully I'll have one of each
before long. I also have the Fleer wrappers from that era.

I admire your ability to concentrate on just 1961 Topps. Do you seek
out the "variations" and error cards? Have you figured out why
nothing was issued for #426, #587, and #588? Which cards do you still
need to complete the set?

Ron

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:26:32 GMT, John Wade wrote:

Ron B. wrote:

Here's a PhotoJam of my 1961 Topps Yankees collection. They were my
favorite team when I was 10 years old. Hope some of you enjoy the
cards and the music.

http://www.shockwave.com/rd/photojam...7225971417_367

This is great, Ron!!

I was also 10 years old in 1961, and the Yanks were
also my favorite teem then.

Sorry I haven't done my '61 bios lately, but my father
passed away about a week ago, and I have been
dealing with that.

I hope to start back soon.
John Wade