Old January 4th 04, 05:36 AM
MikeCouil

Anybody who reads this board OR the beckett boards know you have a bias

I just dont see him hitting .280. I think you should be happy if he hits .250
with 40 RBI's and 8 home runs.

Mike

Joe Mauer is just about the ONLY bright spot of the organization this off
season and is the hot topic among everyone. While a great many people like
Dan
feel he'll win ROY, I think he'll hit around .230 and play terriffic

defense.

I think within 3 seasons he'll be to Minnesota what Kirby was, the guy
everyone
knows by his first name and who brings people out to watch the team.

Mark Prior would have been great in Minnesota, but he wouldn't have been the
local boy home town hero that Joe is, nor would the club have been able to
ink
him. There was no mistake in signing Joe Mauer. I just wish he had 1

season
in AAA.

Mike

I agree with everything you say here Mike. Ideally a half to full season at
AAA would do nothing but help Mauer, but I don't think he will be hindered by
the jump to the big club.

Like I said before, I'm not predicting .350 w/20, but .275 - .290 w/10 hr &
80
rbi is not out of the question. Those type of numbers with his defense are
more than enough to win the ROY.

I will freely admit a personal interest in Mauer's success. I have at least
5
copies of every one of his RC's, along with at least triples of most of the
RC
Parallels (with the obvious exception of a few of the extremely rare issues).

I've also watched him play since he was a 10th grader at CDH.

So take my comments for what ever, but I'm not the only one touting those
type
of numbers.

-Dan (TIC)
http://sportscardfun.com/trader/ideal0024.asp

"If a man hasn't discovered something he would die for, he isn't fit to
live."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Baseball doesn't owe me a thing, I owe my whole life to baseball."
- Kirby Puckett