Old August 28th 05, 06:46 PM
Patrick W. Schubert Sr.

Will Paris's photo be in natural or green lighting???? HA HA LOL ... What
will the "Event" used piece consist of????

As far as CCP, I remember them disappearing from the market because of
pricing based on what they stockpiled the month before. Their prices were
similar to Beckett's but the High dollar, High speculation cards were driven
up based on their ownership levels. Hardly fair ...

Also, many Star Jordan's in circulation today are counterfeits which are so
good BGS wouldn't touch them until recently.

Many people tell me they look for something on E-Bay prior to coming to a
show. They know what the item sold for in the last 90 days, and once that #
is in their head, try to get them to think any higher ... also, since they
are face to face with you the $3 in S&H for the auction doesn't apply
....They see a $25 card sell on E-Bay for $4 + S&H, they expect to buy it for
$4 ... So yes, E-Bay may be an entity but it is the place buyers look for
pricing. People only use Beckett for selling ...

I do shows and take over 35,000 cards with me when I set up. All neatly
divided by player with display cases for the primo stuff. I sort my stars
like I do because I have tons of them and finding them without organization
is near impossible or requires moving boxes to get to the box it is in.
That is just for me to put away my new stuff.

I wish there was a more inclusive pricing system in the hobby today. The
E-Bay price would be wholesale while Hi & Lo book prices would be based on
actual non internet realized prices. Life is different at shows and in card
shops. Many shops of old are long gone and the newer shops buy from E-Bay &
resell boxes & singles but customers don't seem to want it unless you have
it out (using ESP) and ready when the walk up or in ...

You would not believe how many people walk up to my table and say "Do you
have any Greg Maddux?" ... (My website listed below has a photo of my show
setup under the display case link). Then when you say in the star boxes,
they just walk away. It would take me 30 tables to "show" every card.

Sometimes, people make me wonder ...

I do rare shows these days and keep my cards for some future handover to my
sons ...

Patrick

--
www.dacollector.net
Trading Cards, Collectibles, Custom Display Cases & Software (Coming soon)

"pkstore2" wrote in message
.. .

"Patrick W. Schubert Sr." wrote in message
Coins got beat down because Investors got into the market & inflated the
prices with fixed price guides. The same people tried that with cards,
remember CCP????

CCP was a great newspaper type price guide. It came around the time that

was
needed for STAR Jordan rookies to blow that market wide open. Also if i
recall correctly the owners of CCP were basketball buyers : ) It was a

great
thing for the hobby to see an additional price guide to use for cards.

Coins
& every other industry had it but in cards you only had Tuff Stuff &

Beckett
mainly besides SCD. The peopel that did not like it were the ones who did
not make any money. It had no impact on the hobby after it was gone for
basketball & hockey cards were already on their way to acceptance. I had
been going to Canada years earlier buying stuff as well as having a few

good
connections of Fleer Basketball 86 & 87 closeout from a guy in Texas and

the
guy in Pittsburgh.
Ebay does not have anything to do with prices they are just an entity.

When
you have everyone just trying to buy/sell & not collect like this started

as
a hobby 40 years ago prices will be just like anything else hot today sell
off tommorrow. People when going to shows have always been wanting things
cheap. That was the demise of the cardshows in the early 90's. The bigger
shows had great deals and the local stores were closing. That is why

Walmart
& Target got more into cards. If you do shows and don't do good, you are
buying the wrong stuff or are doing the wrong shows simply. Sell supplies
vs. 10 guys selling wax and see what profits are to be made.
Cards are a huge profitable business and you don't have to sink tons of $
into it. Buying the right way and looking for odd things and like everyone
else "get to know a PSA or BGS" employee and eventually if you get enough
graded like 100 or more at a time you will get that magic high grade card

it
seems.
Graders & Manuf. are the ones making some $ but again there is still a ton
of untouched things out there it can be you someday also!
I'd rather have in my case a Paris Hilton auto/game used card!