Old May 21st 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Nickels and Dimes

"Jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
A friend asked me to evaluate some coins from his dad. So I buy
a 2007 redbook and Making the Grade, a picture guide to grading coins.
These are coins from approx 1883 to present and most all are in albums.
Some of these coins, if they were in nice condition, would be of
considerable value. Examples: 1901S & 1913S quarters, 1895O & 1916D
dimes,
and 1885, 1886, 1912S, 1913S v2, 1918 D/17, & 1937D-3 leg nickels. With
some of these coins, especially the nickels, it's really hard to tell
what they are. I think the obverse would grade FR-2 and the reverse G-6
on some of the nickels...So, my question is, how does one determine the
value of a coin that grades less than a G-4? I do not see any certified
coins on ebay that are less than G-4... does that mean that the grading
services won't accept lesser grade coins for slabing? I think the
dimes and quarters would probably grade VG-8 and better. Next question:
Any thoughts as to how I should sell these? Time is not an issue and I
was thinking I might the lower dollar items as a year set under each
denomination. For example, sell the 1899, 1899O, & 1899S dimes as a 3
coin set. I don't think it would ne best to sell them in large groups,
like sell the entire 1913-1938 buffalo nickels in one listing... but
should I break it down so far as to sell each individual coin in it's
own listing? I can see listing the high dollar coins individually, I
don't know the best way to do the others.
I appreciate hearing anythoughts about this and if this post is in any
way inappropiate for this group, please forgive me. Thank you.
Jon )

Coins in low-down grades are indeed slabbed, especially such items as 01-S
quarters. Unless the date/mint combination is really rare, though, the cost
of slabbing gets to be too great a percentage of the value of the coin, so
you observe correctly that such items are rarely encountered. Then consider
that there is not much profit in faking low-down common coins, so slabbing
is not seen as much of a necessity. Finally, I'd say that the overdate
buffalo is not worth much more than 5c unless one can actually make out the
overdate, so slabbing a G-4 example doesn't have any meaning to most folks.

As far as pricing, a truly choice AG-3 will often go for G-4 money,
especially if it is an unusual item. Otherwise, figure about half to 2/3 of
G-4 money, and expect to have the item in your possession for a while.

Mr. Jaggers