Old September 19th 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

Default Retail price vs catalogue values

On 9/19/2011 2:00 PM, Victor Manta wrote:

Pricing is so far removed from actual retail or auction that it's like the
LIST price on the TV infomercials, snip for brevity

There ain't no such a thing as a retail price for stamps, just one for each
individual stamp. This price depends on different things, like for example
grading, and it is established on the market.

To complain for this reason about unrealistic catalogue values doesn't make
much sense to me because different values/prices are compared.

Note: I don't speak here about modern MNH stamps, produced in big quantities
for topical stamp collectors.

Thanks for providing this additional information, Victor. I doubt that
Rien has even looked at an actual printed Scott color catalog. Yes,
these catalogs are expensive, but the color stamp images are excellent,
much better than what Scott used to provide in gray-scale.

You are absolutely right. High-value stamp prices are all over the lot,
depending on factors such as condition and who might be bidding at a
particular auction. I look at catalog prices as estimates only. Scott
provides a conditions guide that affects the given catalog value up or
down from the stated value.

Google must know who Rien is. If you search for "Scutt catalog" it
provides search results for Scott. :)

Bill