Old April 29th 16, 02:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default USPS WARNING!!!

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message

For those who do not know;
NEVER EVER SEND REGISTERED to the USPS.
http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...l/updt_004.htm

In addition, the Postal Service will obtain a signature at the time
of delivery in accordance with domestic standards governing the delivery
of
accountable mail. (from regulations - vm)

Very presumptive and that's only if it SHOULD IT NOT BE STOLEN!

For me the PS wording is very clear, and this means that your assertion "it
will NOT require a signature" is just wrong! It's understandable for someone
who hasn't the first hand US experience.

Also, senders will continue to have access to the inquiry
process and may receive indemnity based on UPU limits for loss, damage,
or
missing contents." (from regulations - vm)

Such 'inquiry process' consists of some clerk sending a form to my
LOCAL POSTMISTRESS who has absolutely no knowledge of what in blazes
is happening over 2,000 miles away!

Knowledge or not, I understand that you or somebody else nevertheless
received the due compensation for the loss of the registered letters. Of
course one can expect better than that.

I currently have a sender who, against advice, sent an 1890 postcard
REGISTERED from Germany. It arrived at the NYC ISC facility on 24th
MARCH and hasn't been scanned since. (your answer to Mr. Ross)

Hearsay. How do you know that it arrived at the "NYC ISC facility"? May I
remind you that it is you who wrote: "This clearly means that ONCE into the
USPS mailstream it will NOT be tracked ...".

Same with two others from the UK before I found out about this alteration
[err REDUCTION] in 'service', as well as one from Canada. (idem)

Hearsay about at least the registered letter sent from Canada because you
couldn't inquire personally about something that you didn't send.

Of FIVE items sent from Europe, all but one were apparently stolen in the
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 'sorting centre.

To summarize, we don't know:

- how many of letters did you send personally but probably not all of them.
- how many were really stolen (many letters get lost differently)
- if the letters that eventually disappeared were lost/stolen/misdirected
"in the ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 'sorting centre" and not somewhere else
(remember what you said, no tracking available in US).

Many things happen with letters but my experience tells me that your extreme
warning doesn't necessarily reflect the real situation. For what it's worth,
I got _today_ in NYC a registered letter from EU. It was sent 8 days ago. It
looks that the devil is not so black as it is said.

Last but not least, since 2009 USPS does strictly what is required by the
UPU and not more, as it did previously. Only a reliable statistics that
compares the situation before 2009 with that after 2009 can tell us more.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find one but maybe a participant in RCSD could
help to find it.

Victor