Old August 1st 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall[_4_]

Default Why We Left The Gold Standard

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
Bremick wrote:

"Paul Ciszek" wrote in message

In article , Bremick
wrote:

when govt realizes it may no longer be able to continue the freebies.
What
ever happened to families providing support for each other? Out of
work
for

Kind of hard when the family members you might turn to for support are
out of work too.

It was like that before Social Security and people learned to survive.

And what was average life expectancy before Social Security?

up to two years and still getting paid by the govt? Maybe time to
relearn
a skill that someone needs.

Are there skills that someone needs? Seriously, I think the problem is
that US businesses don't need American workers, only American
consumers.
They want to have the latter without the former, but it doesn't work
that
way. And the few places that are hiring only want to hire people who
are
already employed, which does not reduce unemployment one iota.

Good points. Also, many laid off or fired employees are too reluctant to
relocate or to learn new skills. Or to accept a lower paying job. Why
bother when they can make more money for the next two years on the dole?

Really? People are living well on Unemployment Insurance?

About the only people who might live well on unemployment benefits are
single kids living with their parents who worked for a year or so at an
employer before getting laid off. Most states require that you worked for 4
of the previous 5 quarters before you are eligible for unemployment
benefits. Even then you'd get only half of what you made before as a
benefit. And you are required to be actively seeking a job. I can't
imagine a younger person with a family living high off the hog from it.
I've known many people who lost just about everything they had including
their houses and spent their pensions and savings because of prolonged
unemployment.

Unemployment Insurance is
something that people pay into, it's not the dole.

People don't pay for it, it is part of the "employment tax (about 11-12% of
wages)" that employers pay to the federal government. But, of course, that
eventually gets passed on to consumers.

All the while using the same infrastructure and services the rest of us
are
paying taxes for to keep going.

It's called a free society where people come together for the common good.

And it is in the Constitution.

--
Richard
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of