Old August 1st 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Default Why We Left The Gold Standard

"Richard L. Hall" wrote:

"Bremick" wrote in message

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
Bremick wrote:

"Paul Ciszek" wrote in message
Good points. Also, many laid off or fired employees are too reluctant
relocate or to learn new skills. Or to accept a lower paying job. Why
bother when they can make more money for the next two years on the dole?

Really? People are living well on Unemployment Insurance? Unemployment
Insurance is
something that people pay into, it's not the dole.

I never said people were "living well", although many are receiving over
$500 a week. That's $26,000 a year.

And who are they? The average unemployment payment in the country is about
$330/week. In Virginia, the MAXIMUM is about $355 or about $18500/year. So
if you were a worker in Virginia, making the average salary of $45000 or
about $865/week, you could expect to get $355 per week if you were laid
off. Most of the younger people I know with families, mortgages, and the
like, live paycheck to paycheck and a drop of $500 in their weekly income
would have a dramatic effect

I sure could manage to live on that, considering the alternatives.

I could probably live on it too if I were a retired government worker with a
big pension and health insurance paid mostly by the government and no
mortgage, or wife and kids to support. But thats not the typical worker in
the United States.

People don't pay into it. It comes from taxing employers,

Hey! you got something right!

but guess who ends up funding the cost in the long run. Once that 99 weeks
runs out people then can qualify for other types of federal assistance. It
never ends.

All the while using the same infrastructure and services the rest of us
are
paying taxes for to keep going.

It's called a free society where people come together for the common
good.

You sound like someone from the flower child generation.

Or someone who read the U. S. Constitution. You know, like the Preamble
(caps are mine for emphasis) that goes

"WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES, IN ORDER TO form a more perfect Union,
establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common
defence, PROMOTE THE GENERAL WELFARE, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to
ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for
the United States of America."

Or Article I Section 8 that starts.

"Section. 8.

THE CONGRESS SHALL HAVE POWER TO LAY AND COLLECT TAXES, DUTIES, IMPOSTS AND
EXCISES, TO pay the Debts and PROVIDE FOR the common Defense and GENERAL
WELFARE OF THE UNITED STATES; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be
uniform throughout the United States;"

Personally, I think these passages should be required reading along with the
rest of the document.

--
Richard
http://www.richlh.com

Wait, wait, did I hear one of yinz guys say you did well when taxes were
being raised and Reagan spent us into the largest deficit up until that
time?

JAM