Old March 22nd 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Default Supporting the ripped and torn.

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Bill Sharpe found these unused words:

Blair wrote:

What I have advised beginning collectors is to collect the best
condition
possible at a price they can afford. It is fine to include a "space
filler"
until a better copy comes along. Today, a scan of a good copy can
also
be used as a space filler until the appropriate stamp is found.

It offends me to even think about putting a scanned stamp image on my
album page. Damaged or poorly centered space fillers are fine, just as
long as they are really stamps.

That's OK, Bill ... it offended Earl A. to think that we could have virtual
collections and show our stamps on computers.

Perhaps it's luddite time again.

I'd rather place a scan with overprinted information of the ID of the stamp
needed, than a dog meat copy!

But then, with the early GB there's so much to check to tell a similar
looking stamp from another - Easier to put a scan from the imprimatur with
the ID, than something you really have to double check.

Whatever floats your boat is fine with me. Collect what you want and how
you want -- that's what collecting is all about.

The neat thing about scanned stamp images, either your own stamps or
those found on the Internet, is that you can zoom in on them to examine
details without having to squint through a magnifying glass.

Bill