Old May 15th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default I bought a Morgan on ebay that looks like a VAM Top 100

On 13 May 2006 13:11:59 -0700, oly wrote:
VAM is phony baloney. Psuedo-science. A mountain from a molehill.
False scholar****.

Isn't it just a die variety classification that some but not most people
care about?

The flaws, the minor errors, mean nothing.

To you.

They don't tell us ****
about the era that they were produced in, they don't tell us anything
about the minting process. Little flaws, nicks in the dies from where
they were dropped, tools hit the die faces, die clashes, big whoopee.

(shrug) the stamp collectors seem to care about die states. All I know
is that it changes what I can get for what, to me, is a duplicate.
Makes it easier to decide which of several of the "same thing" to sell.

A 1955 double die cent would be a great thing to find for zero and sell
for a lot; but I'd never buy one.

Fair enough. Some people care, some don't. I guess being someone who
doesn't, selling to someone who does, is the best combination.