Old May 4th 10, 01:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default I can't believe no one posted anything on this. What? Were you guys all waiting for me? (New $100 Bill Images) (I wonder if a new $500 bill would be similar)

"sgt23" wrote in message

So exactly what do you think is "unpresentable" and "distasteful" about
our
coins? I understand that many collectors have become bored with what they
consider "tired" designs on our circulating coinage, but your words
indicate
a much stronger feeling on your part.

I personally just find the presidential dollars too be ugly. Its like
mint didn't even try when they had some make the art for these. They
should have stuck with just the Sac dollars.

============
Others probably feel the same way, but that doesn't make the coins
unpresentable or distasteful.
============

Why is it the Mint's fault that you're not receiving dollar coins? It
produces millions of them each year and distributes them to the various
regions. Why not blame merchants who never request any for their cash
registers? Or the banks that don't bother including them in change unless
specifically asked. I will agree that the designs on the dollar coins
leave
me cold, but then the only time I ever see any are when I glance at my
annual proof and mint sets for damage.

Its not about me not getting the presidential, but everyone. They have
decided that now that banks no longer have to except these new coins,
although they want too sell too the collectors above face value, why
not give us "the collectors" the same deal they give the banks for
coins. I find the $8.95 for 2 rolls of cents that are mint for
circulation in the first place it ridiculous. Now we are suppose too
collect these new coins also at a premium. I think its about time for
a new director.

===========
Who is "they"? Most banks take in the denominations that best serve their
local customers. The fact that the banks can't readily obtain BU solid
rolls of the latest Lincolns you want at face value isn't necessarily a
conspiracy, although the Mint (or somebody) does manage to distribute solid
BU rolls of each new presidential dollar to banks that want them.

I'm sure that if you can be patient, you'll be able to find new pennies at a
much cheaper price. Remember though, no one says you're "supposed to"
collect anything you don't want to.
===========
..
The designs on our coins have nothing to do with "what our country is
capable of". The committees that select the artists and sculptors and
critique their coin design proposals should be the subject of your scorn,
along with the Congress that decides what will be produced. Although I
majored in fine arts in college, I would have a hard time figuring how to
render a national park on a quarter.

I think all of the above should change. Let the people pick what they
want on the coins. This is still a free country of choice and options
right?

Ugh! Then we'd face what stamp collectors face. No thanks.