Old November 20th 03, 09:42 PM
jpeabody

The problem with trading is that the common denominator used for every
other transaction, the dollar, is thrown out. It's the ton of
feathers vs. the ton of bricks dillemma. Which one is heavier? Well,
with baseball cards, $100 worth of rookies is usually "worth" more
than $100 of anything else. Lots of times at shows dealers have
looked through my stuff and in negotiating made offers slanted more
heavily in BV for rookies than GU or other singles. Rookies are just
generally more prized than game-used and autos because they are the
ones most likely to hold or appreciate in value.

The guy who didn't want to trade an auto for a rookie probably should
have said so up front, but still, even if he couldn't see it he was
probably getting the better end of the deal in the long-term, and the
short-term, too, as a decent rookie is more saleable and tradeable
than a regular auto. But don't be turned off by people like that.
There are lots of good traders out there who are more concerned with
getting what they want than "winning" every trade. You'll find them
if you keep looking.

Trading is really getting rediculous these days.Everyone thinks they have
GOLD and their cards are always better than yours.So therefore they think
they deserve the better end of the deal.As if you owe them something.Not
everyone does this but it sure seems it's moving in that
direction.Especially with all of these serial #'ed cards that are #'ed 25 or
less.they think they can get the world with those cards just because they
are too scarce to list in Beckett..I put up this post looking for a $15.00
autograph.( am a member of many trading groups.)
This guy answers and says he has the said card I was looking for.I asked him
to have a look at my trade page to see if there was anything he liked.He
answers back and says he's interested in a bunch of my $100.00 and $200.00
auto's.I have tons and tons of $15.00 to $25.00 auto's he could have choosen
from.But no he has to pick the best stuff I have for a nobody auto of his.I
don't think my cards are gold and think that my cards are the best.But that
is crazy.Other people have this crazy rule for trading, One guy wanted a
$30.00 rookie of mine.I looked at his trade page and said I would trade him
my $30.00 card for one of his $20.00 auto's.
He writes back like he is offended that I would even dare ask him for such a
crazy deal and writes in extra bold type "AUTO"S FOR AUTO'S,GAME USED FOR
GAME USED AND ROOKIES FOR ROOKIES"
Now who the hell made up this rule and set it in stone.He's getting a $30.00
rookie on the Beckett hot list for a $20.00 auto.

It's getting like this in almost all of the trade groups,You can't just make
a lower ended trade anymore.Or trades where the book values are
close.Everyone thinks they always have to get the better deal.