Old April 19th 10, 06:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

Default anyone finding great lincolns

On Apr 19, 5:48*am, Ken Fscher wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 00:42:12 -0700 (PDT), sgt23

wrote:
On Apr 17, 8:42*pm, Ken Fscher wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 05:50:33 -0700 (PDT), Peter
wrote:

On Apr 16, 5:54*am, Ken Fscher wrote:

* * * I had a "Whoa" when I was listing a 1916P Mercury
tonight and the picture of the reverse looked as if
there was a D but with the die mostly filled;

I must be confused. *I don't see a 'mostly filled' D, anywhere on the
dime. *It certainly is not where the mintmark usually appears.

* * * * I have a 30 power loupe, and I don't see it
on the coin, but when I look at the picture, "it looks
as if there was a D".

* * * * I searched to see if there was filled die strikes
cataloged and found a statement about 264,000
strikes and half a million coins in collections. :-)

* * * * For now I consider it an optical illusion,
but I won't list the coin.

I think you can be pretty confident if you didn't see a D under that
much magnification it does not exist.

* * * *But then, again, the 1922 No D was a filled die,
luckily the reverse helps in identification.

* * * *I am very interested in the numismatic technical
happenings to the dies, both die damage and man
made. * * I think a lot of attempts to repair some dies
are tried to keep the press going, and the coins are
the only clues about those.

* * * *That is why I have so many pennies selling on
ebay, it is a shame the mint quit selling 5000 coin
bags.

I feel that mint is only interested in what the investors want, and no
longer are interested in listening too the collectors. I guess it
doesn't really matter that we the collectors came along way before the
investor. If this was a business ran by me or you and we dropped our
main customers, we would have been out of business a long time ago.
Just my opinion, for whatever that might be worth.