Old June 21st 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Mis-bound book values

Keith Williams wrote:

How much value (if any) does having a mis-bound book add to its value?

I've been trying to puzzle out why misprinted stamps and misstruck
coins have great value:

http://www.invertedcenter.com

while misbound books (and most other defective collectibles, for that
matter) are valueless curiosities.

Perhaps the key is that the stamps and coins are issued officially by
governments. Quality control in such situations is usually exceedingly
high and thus such mistakes are exceedingly rare. Such things are also
either legal tender or tantamount to such. And finally the responsible
government agencies always seem to suppress such things.

Whereas book binders probably end up with lots of problematic volumes,
their standards are probably not so high, and the books don't have same
official value that their philatelic and numismatic counterparts have.
And, although they surely don't want such things circulating,
publishers, printers, and binders don't have police powers to go round
them up.

Just my 1955-Double-Die-Lincoln two cents.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com