Old November 2nd 14, 06:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Default Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

On 11/2/2014 12:18 PM, wrote:
You write very long but still dodge the question regarding placing
meaningless denominations on round pieces that would have been
issued as medals years ago.

I guess you missed the part where I wrote "They are legal tender for
$0.25 as mandated by the enabling legislation." That's just as
true for the various U.S. mint "rounds" today as it was for classic
commemoratives and the 1925 Norse Medal. If Congress says it's a
medal, it's a medal. If Congress says it's a coin, it's a coin.

The Franklin Firefighter silver medals (and the Teddy Roosevelt
National Parks/ Wildlife medals) can very frequently be purchased for
next to nothing, simply because the poltroons can't look them up in the
Red Book. Conversely, they are often wildly overpriced for the same
reason.

Generic $1 Modern Commemoratives are available retail at about $4 per
coin over spot. If you can find the Franklin at $5 over spot, please
let me in on the secret. After you make your pile, that is.

But I guess it still is 1993 here on Usenet, if people are still
using the Red Book instead of online sources or following what
stuff actually sells for at auction.

--
Mike Benveniste --
(Clarification Required)